Our contestants and judges have spoken, and we have our four “Best Excerpt, All Genres” 2014 contest finalists. Why four? Because our judges were adamant about their choices, and insisted that a fourth entry be considered in this final medal-award round.
Before I get any deeper into the details, please allow me to present our four finalists. These entries are listed in alphabetical order by author surname:
- Kae Bender — for “What I’ve realized…“
- Melinda Clayton — for “For weeks I…“
- Nyaran — for “He knows he…“
- PJ Yusten — for “‘Eva naughty. Me…’“
I’ve contacted each of our medal-round authors and asked them to submit up to three additional sentences directly related to their entered excerpts.
As soon as I receive responses from these writers, I’ll display their revised entries in this post’s Comments section. Once each entry is posted, contestants (including the finalists) are invited to add their feedback and ratings.
Please use this rating scale:
- Scale is 1 to 10, with 10 the highest rating
- “7″ equals “excellent”
- “8″ would be “outstanding”
- “9″ should be reserved for “unique and amazing”
- “10″ will only be conferred as the highest possible praise (First Place choice)
Our two contest judges are free to accept or ignore reader ratings, as they see fit. Decisions of the judges are final, and not subject to adjustment based on any mathematical calculations based on reader ratings.
Who are SoWrite’s judges?
Both of our esteemed judges have been doing this often-thankless task here on the site since early 2013. I have the utmost respect for their critical decisions.
- Tammy Narayan: Mathematics post-grad, author, and hard-nosed editor.
- Carolyn Varvel: Author, editor, and publisher at Wormhole Electric.
My sincere thanks go out to Carolyn and Tammy for their careful consideration and analysis of our contest entries. In one competition after another, each has remained pointedly objective and professional in her approach. Neither judge is compensated for her participation.
Final judging begins as soon as all four finalists have submitted their revised entries.
What’s at stake?
- Cash prizes now totalling $45 — $1 for every entry.
- Three medals: Gold, Silver, and Bronze — suitable for display by each winner.
- Potential invitation to join Wormhole Electric Publishing‘s elite stable of authors for an upcoming anthology.
Winners will be announced on Saturday, March 1 by 7 pm EST.
Please CLICK HERE to see the preview announcement here in Comments. ~Jim
Or CLICK HERE to see the official winners’ announcement. Stop by and congratulate our medalists?
This first foray into 2014′s new contest format for SoWrite.Us has been, by far, the most exciting and interactive competition since this website was created. Thank you all for your interest, your participation, your critiques and ratings, and for sharing info about this contest among your friends and peers.
Please scroll down to the Comments section to review and critique our finalists’ entries.
Mandy is hosting a brand new Tanka Contest on her website. Be sure to check it out!